This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Spiritual Renewal

One of my college Gen Eds is Fit for Life.   My most recent assignment was to research a disease and give a decent explanation of what it is. I would much rather research a recipe and find a way to improve it. that would most likely be an assignment for a course called unfit for life. Nonetheless, I chose Asthma, a disease I've lived with ever since I can remember.  It's a part of who I am, nothing foreign or strange.  Taking my inhaler is second nature, like brushing my teeth or making my bed (though it is incredibly hard to do when I'm late for class.)  I've really enjoyed my research so far.  I discovered that my primary asthma trigger is cold weather. 

On a chilly September morning my lungs become inflamed and my airways start to shrink.  This is only when I am actively moving around.  Running is the worst.  This morning ran along a straight road just parallel to campus. I passed by the Taylor lake in all its shimmering glory.  The lazy clouds peaked down at their reflection in the water.  I felt my chest getting tighter.  

I persisted for a while longer.  In no time I came upon a beautiful country house.  hanging potted plants decorated its wrap around porch.  At the top of the driveway stood a deer. His antlers suited him well.  We examined each other.  A fearful thought entered my mind of whether or not he would chase me.  I laughed it away uneasily.  A mad dash for my dorm would most definitely result in an asthma attack.

In some ways identifying a disease and learning about it is like identifying a sin.  I've mastered the way I should take care of my asthma.  Sometimes I forget I even have asthma. But have I mastered and overcome the sins in my life?  Living with sin is like living with a disease.  It's chronic.  But like asthma there is a medicine that though you have a sin nature, will free you from the symptoms.

 With inhalers I barely ever wheeze.  On occasion I struggle to breath, but it's nothing a few puffs of medicine can't cure.  What are the inhalers of your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment