This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

Twenty boxes of SOS DVDs came in the mail this week.  SOS stands for The Sound of the Spirit, a movie my Dad produced last summer.  Check out the movie website at http://www.soundofthespiritmovie.com/  Anyway, seeing the DVDs reminded me of all the baking we did for the movie crew.  My sister Madelyn and I were the catering crew for a team of some 40 cast and crew members.  A daily favorite was our granola bars. It started out with a marshmallow base. The white fluff melted perfectly in the sizzling butter.  The pads of butter were a hot sun in the August sky.  The marshmellows were fluffy clouds, growing bigger every moment.  My favorite part was grinding up all the grains.  With a simple coffee grinder I made hard sesame seeds crumble to dust. I also ground up peanuts and sunflower seeds. The grainy powder mixed in well with the marshmellow.  A cup of oats, and some crushed up graham crackers added more texture, followed by raisins, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. My wrist would burn while I stirred the stiff mixture.  The sticky marshmallow began to cool on my wooden spoon, like a stick of honey blown through a cotton field.  Just like cereal treats, I would then press the sticky substance into a pan.  Usually I would coat my hands with cresco so they wouldn't stick to the granola bars. Like I said this was a healthy favorite.  Try it yourself with a marshmallow base and crushed up graham crackers. You can add any other seeds or grains to your satisfaction. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed every bite of your wonderful cooking and second of your delightful conversation! You are an amazing young lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much:) it was actually mostly my mom's cooking!

      Delete