Work was hot and tiring yesterday. After an accident of 12 burned cinnamon swirls the oven made us all pay for the Baker's mistake. Though I arrived closer to closing, the ovens were still cooling down while fresh baked swirls did the same. I pushed back my sweaty hair as I hurriedly swept the dusty floors. A costumer would come in and I would grumble. There was so much work to do, I didn't have time for them. Of course I had time for them, it just meant I would still be cleaning up after closing. Dishes cluttered the sinks, lettuce mayo and squashed tomatoes dirtied the sandwich area, and the trash waited for me to empty it. Some how I managed to finish up at a decent hour. A tiring afternoon turned into a fun night as my family zoomed off to the state fair.
Its the same fair every year, but different. Back then I was terrified of the fair. People were everywhere and they smelled like deep fried dough. The loud crazy rides with flashing lights and screaming people scared me to death. Now I see a place that's just a part of my home town. The deep fried dough is actually good if you taste it. I wasn't allowed to as a kid. The rides are not meant to scare you but to give you a thrilling experience. And the crazy people screaming? Well they just do that for attention :)
We saw tractors and mowers, farm equipment and farm animals. We saw people play games to win prizes, win money, and to just embarrass themselves. But the most memorable event we saw was the horse show. At least that's what we think it was. The familiar Pepsi Colosseum was coated with fine dirt while little ponies, pulling little chariots, trotted around. They diligently followed the instructions on the loud speaker. My sister and I slid down into our chairs with embarrassment as our little brothers cheered on the dead silent show, as if it were a horse race. The audience was so quiet you could hear the horse hooves. But my little brothers put an end to that. "PASS HIM ON THE INSIDE!" They would holler. "YOU'VE GOT THIS! JUST STICK WITH IT." Another would chime in. Even my five year old sister joined the commotion with a loud, "LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!" You've got to love a big family. We all bring something different and unique to every situation.


My favorite post. My favorite summer.
ReplyDelete