This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Little Black Lumps

  Dusty powdered sugar clouded my face as I whipped it up with some soft butter.  A gush of vanilla extract added some flavor to the frosting.  The icing resulted in a stiff white mixture.  The taste was much to my satisfaction until I noticed the little black lumps.  I soon discovered they were bugs, ants to be precise.  I found little legs and tenticles. The ants were dead of course, but all the same, DISGUSTING. I was completely grossed out and had no trouble dumping spoonfuls of icing into the trash can.  I cant believe I tasted that.  All the same I still  had unfrosted, bland, lemon cookies.  My result was chocolate icing.  At least I knew that was safe.  My family came home with Riley, a blind girl from church.  In a half hour we would all be headed over to a BBQ.  I explained the ant fiasco to Riley.  She approved of the chocolate icing.  Apparently when your blind, bugs come to your attention by other means than seeing them. Riley comes across bugs by feeling them.  While washing dishes centipedes run across her fingers trying to escape the flooded sink. I hate bugs, ants especially. We have them all over the kitchen.  Im not a bug hater, but without a flinch I can swat an ant to death with pleasure.  Nevetheless  baking and bugs are not a good mixture. 
Here is the recipe I was using from the "Baking with the Cake Boss" cookbook
Black-And-White-CookiesChttp://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/cake-boss-black-white-cookies-15136441

No comments:

Post a Comment