Finals week was a hassle. Late nights. Cups and cups of coffee. I soon found my favorite study spot in the library. It was on the second floor, deep in the book shelves, and beside the giant glass windows that looked over the atrium. Sometimes it seemed I spent more time there than in my room. Hours would fly so fast. Yet distractions crept in like a late student in lecture hall. When I was supposed to be working on a chemistry problem I would be giggling over endless YouTube videos. "Must focus," I told myself, after slamming my lap top closed and pulling out my calculator. Every now and then a pleasant voice would call over the loud speaker announcing fresh coffee and cookies waiting at the front desk for those in need of a study break. The coffee table soon became a socializing table. I normally don't drink coffee, but for the chance to stretch and a shot of caffeine anything was acceptable. And now I must recount of a most interesting study evening. Through the cold dark of December I walked. A brace of warm air welcomed me as I pushed through the library doors. All was quiet. Up the stairs I stormed with my heavy backpack weighing me down. The second floor was even quieter, and nearly every study spot occupied. At last I found a table all to myself. My books came out of my bag, my lap top flew opened and I went straight to work. The silence was overbearing. I put my headphones on and started up some Christmas classics. After some time passed, I noticed the girls at the table across from me were peering around the room as if in search for something. The girl with her back to me glanced a few times directly at me. Taking her for one easily distracted, I simply typed away at my eight page paper. The song was O Holly Night, with a grand orchestra playing behind the choir. At length the girl turned around and caught my attention. "Could you turn your music down?" She demanded. In seconds I pulled the plugs from my ears. The music continued to play. Glancing down at my computer in horror I realized my headphones were never plugged in.
Some people wake up in the morning and say this is going to be the best day of my life. I wanna look back on each unpromised day and say, this was the best day of my life.
This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Study Spoof
Finals week was a hassle. Late nights. Cups and cups of coffee. I soon found my favorite study spot in the library. It was on the second floor, deep in the book shelves, and beside the giant glass windows that looked over the atrium. Sometimes it seemed I spent more time there than in my room. Hours would fly so fast. Yet distractions crept in like a late student in lecture hall. When I was supposed to be working on a chemistry problem I would be giggling over endless YouTube videos. "Must focus," I told myself, after slamming my lap top closed and pulling out my calculator. Every now and then a pleasant voice would call over the loud speaker announcing fresh coffee and cookies waiting at the front desk for those in need of a study break. The coffee table soon became a socializing table. I normally don't drink coffee, but for the chance to stretch and a shot of caffeine anything was acceptable. And now I must recount of a most interesting study evening. Through the cold dark of December I walked. A brace of warm air welcomed me as I pushed through the library doors. All was quiet. Up the stairs I stormed with my heavy backpack weighing me down. The second floor was even quieter, and nearly every study spot occupied. At last I found a table all to myself. My books came out of my bag, my lap top flew opened and I went straight to work. The silence was overbearing. I put my headphones on and started up some Christmas classics. After some time passed, I noticed the girls at the table across from me were peering around the room as if in search for something. The girl with her back to me glanced a few times directly at me. Taking her for one easily distracted, I simply typed away at my eight page paper. The song was O Holly Night, with a grand orchestra playing behind the choir. At length the girl turned around and caught my attention. "Could you turn your music down?" She demanded. In seconds I pulled the plugs from my ears. The music continued to play. Glancing down at my computer in horror I realized my headphones were never plugged in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment