This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Back to Joy

When you find yourself in a strange place, you normally look for a friend.  It could be a person or a personal belonging.  For many freshmen at Taylor University their friend and security is their phone. It lights up their face in the dark chapel auditorium.  It captures their attention when lectures grow dull. For some people its their laptop.  They hide behind it during class as if the professor might think they were taking notes.  Yet another "friend" could be something as simple as a cupcake.  A cute cupcake is sweet and delicious. It's soft and soothing to the soul and stomach.  It brings a since of comfort.  Though I didn't know it at first, my violin is actually my comfort and security.  Opening my case is like being reunited with an old friend.  A best friend.  Each scale or etude is a conversation, a how are you, a how have you been.  And when I play a familiar tune I'm back home.  Music is a window to another world.  I peer in with excitement while a world of memories unfolds. I think God gives us these comforts to bring us back to joy when we're down.  Find your "back to joy" so that when bad days come, you have something to cheer you up.






1 comment:

  1. Aw, I really liked this post, Julie!! =) Definitely been discovering my "back to joy" factors since college started. Playing the piano has definitely been one of them- every time I play, I wonder how I could have gone so long without playing it. =) Tea in my happy colored mugs is another one... =)

    ReplyDelete