This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Parent's Weekend

A weekend to show your parents around your new home.  A few days to tell them about your college life.  A few hours to explain what you are learning in school.  A brief moment of hugs and goodbyes.  And then they're gone.  Your dorm room feels just as empty and lonely as when they first dropped  you off. Though my family was only here for an evening, parents weekend was nonstop fun and excitement.  Friday night consisted of a play performance, a soccer game, and a concert in the chapel. Due to the cold windy rain I chose the concert.

 Rain showered down from the dark night sky as my roommate and I splashed across campus huddled under umbrellas.  My heavy boots kept my feet more dry than warm. Inside the chapel the air was crisp and chill.  Musicians crowded the stage making all kinds of noise.  A little conductor found his way on stage and a hush grew over the auditorium. My eyes were closed before they even started and the sound of applause woke me up a short time later.  It's strange in college how the first moment you get to rest your eyes, they refuse to open.  Though my eyes gave out on me, my ears did not.  The music was pleasant consisting of a variation.  It trailed from American big band music to sweet traditional hymns.

Sleep overwhelmed me and forced me to leave at intermission. The cold rain accompanied  me back to my dorm. The following morning I planned to run a 5K.  Running used to be my passion.  It would motivate me to get up at 6am so I could get enough of it before school. When I ran, the world seemed like such a beautiful place.  I heard birds more clearly and saw nature from a different perspective. The following morning was far from pleasant. A biting cold surprised my running partner and me.  We scuffled over to the track and signed up for the race.  Half an hour later found us in a mass of people waiting for the gunfire.

 To my disappointment a man simply shouted "GO" and we were off.  No gunfire.  A sleepy sun peaked out over the horizon shooting brilliant lights of color into the sky.  My hands were frozen.  My feet were numb. The wind tugged at my hair and beat against my hoody.  The mass of people spread out rather quickly.  We walked and ran, walked and ran some more.  Then came the softball field, two inches in water. The ice cold water leaked into my shoes.  We ran faster to quickly end this miserable experience.  In the last 200 meters I was glad I ran the 5K. It's all worth it in the end. In the end I was just happy my asthma didn't act up.
My family arrived that evening.  Their faces lit up my own.  It's funny how absence, though it makes the heart grow fonder, causes you to appreciate your family so very much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment