This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Embarrassing Moments: Humiliating but Helpful


There once was a girl who after high school disappeared off to college.  She lived in an all girl's dorm, went to class, attended football games, went to the Christmas formal banquet and slowly found her place on campus.  And like all college students, or human beings that is, this girl had embarrassing moments. Sometimes she would come home from class and collapse at her desk.  Thinking back on all the embarrassing moments of the day, she would bury her head in a pillow and ask, why me?

What makes a moment embarrassing?  Falling down the stairs in the library, dropping a glass plate in the Dining commons, or slipping on the ice outside your academic building, these kinds of things just make us feel miserable. One day I came to a conclusion that letting embarrassing moments bother me must be ungodly. Is God pleased when I go home and cry just because I screwed up on a presentation?  Certainly not.  The embarrassment we feel is our pride getting hurt.  We have an image of ourselves, some with a bigger ego than others, and when something damages that image, it hurts. We experience humility. When God revealed this thought to me I remembered a very important Bible verse, "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God that at the proper time he may exalt you."  It's hard to be humbled.  But realizing that God deserves all glory and honor and praise reminds me that there is no profit in stealing his glory for myself.

And so I lifted my head out of the pillow and searched through scripture. Soon I found a handful of verses on humility.  I now have a new mindset.  Embarrassing moments are going to happen, and when they do I must remember that in due time God will exalt me.

"Humility does not mean you think less of yourself
It means you think of yourself less." 
Ken Blanchard 

No comments:

Post a Comment