This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013


It's winter.  The snow covered plains of Indiana surround my tiny, little college campus.  But today the sun was shining, and the sky was as crystal clear as a snow globe.  This morning I read from Exodus chapter five. Moses, returning from Midian with his family, pleads with Pharaoh to let the Hebrew slaves go. Pharaoh simply laughs at Moses, while his heart in kindled like a raging forest fire.  He then proceeds to have all the straw taken from the slaves with which they use to make bricks. Ruthlessly he demands the same number of bricks even though they don't have the resources to do it. This would be like a professor asking you to take an exam blindfolded and still expecting 100%.  Moses returns from the palace despised by the Hebrews. They curse him and make him feel terrible.  How discouraging this must have been, not only for Moses but also the Hebrews.  No doubt they had such hope when he, their deliverer, returned to set them free. Many have read this passage time and time again, and so have I.  But this morning I noticed something new.  Though I knew what was to come in the next chapters, Moses didn't.  The future was in God's hands and Moses merely said Yes Lord, to all that God commanded. In the same way my future is in the hand of God. Psalm 84:11 says, "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly."  God sees each one of our futures though they seem uncertain. If we earnestly seek the Lord , the future will glorify God just as Moses' did.  Don't be discouraged when things go wrong.  It is all part of a greater plan.  So great we can't even imagine it.  It's beyond the scope of our tiny minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment