This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Glimpse of Heaven on Earth

The early morning chill formed goose bumps on my arms as I stepped outside for a run.  Running used to be my favorite thing.  It was my time alone with God and his creation.  I'd watch the sky change as the morning sun rose.  Cold air always triggers my asthma.  Twenty minutes into my run I started breathing more heavily.  The pressure in my chest increased immensely.  My head pounded with rushing blood; I needed a break.  It was then that I noticed, in the clear blue sky, a hot air balloon.  It sat there perfectly, like a toy on the ceiling of a child's bedroom.  The balloon was ocean blue with white and black stripes.  The sight was breathtaking.  Unfortunately my breath was already short enough with the slight asthma attack.  I stood still and watched it sail.  It moved harmlessly through the open air.  I sighed aloud at the amazing sight. The huge balloon was sailing right over my neighborhood.  How far away was it?  It seemed as if I could reach out and touch it.  It grew closer as I started up running again.  Soon it was so close I could see the glimmer of the flame.  The seemingly little flame flickered on and off shooting hot air into the enormous balloon.  Turning a corner I shook my head.  My neck was beginning to cramp from staring up so long.  Far off in the distance I heard a soft motor.  It resolved into the sound of a helicopter.  The balloon continued silently as the annoying chopper grew near.  Soon they were both in sight, the chopper heading straight for the balloon. My imagination flew like a kite in the Kansas wind.  What if the two collide?  What an explosion they would make.  How much of each would survive?  Would I maybe see two parachutes drifting down? Not likely.  Of course nothing happened.  The chopper stopped in the air as if it were watching the balloon.  The balloon drifted on caring little for the loud exciting spectacle.  Imagine if we all traveled by balloon.  We'd see the world in such a different way.  Life would be moment to moment, catching a glimpse of heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment