This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I received some beautiful cooling racks as a graduation present from my bakery crew. Believe it or not I've never had my own cooling racks. Cookies are my favorite treat to bake and as far back as my memory goes, I've always just let them cool right on the pan. I remember scraping some, flatter than pancake, cookies off of a pan, like ice on a wintry driveway. The cookies were soft in the middle but hard as the dried cinnamon sugar I often scrape of the bakery floors, on the outside. Now I can say goodbye to dried out, overdone cookies and keep my cookies as fresh and delicate when they come out as they are going in.

From working at Great Harvest, I've discovered that cookies cool best on wax paper, gently laid out on a rack.  This way there isn't a crisscross pattern imprinted on the cookie's backside. At work, the cooling racks are shelves on wheels.  Im sure they weigh a few dozen pounds on their own, but the nifty wheels make them easier to move than a caution cone on an ice rink.  One thing I've thought of trying is stepping up on that rack and gliding across the floor. Im sure it wouldn't be much different than gliding down the grocery isle on a grocery cart. When you put the two together, grocery carts aren't much different than cooling racks.  They both have that wired material set on a pair of wheel.  All the same I am thrilled to finally have my own racks and will be sure to note how my next batch of cookies like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment