This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Peachy afternoon

Sometimes I feel like I could eat nothing but fruit!  It's the best snack and probably the healthiest, besides broccoli.  But I hate broccoli.  Peaches are more appetizing.  Yesterday I made a peach cobbler for my Grandpa.  He wanted it with a crumb topping but also a bottom crust. Pie crust is so fun.  It's also a challenge because you've got one shot at making it perfect. We did the cobbler in a 9 by 13 yellow vintage baking pan. As Buddy from Cake Boss would say, "We're old school." The peaches were golden and slippery.  The peel of a peach comes off much easier than that of an apple.  What's fun to do sometimes is try and peel an apple without breaking the peel.  I took this idea from watching the Andy Griffith show.  It's such a Mayberry thing to do. But I was peeling peaches not apples. The trick with peaches is that they're so soft and juicy that it's easy to accidentally take off too much flesh with the peel. I rinsed my sticky fingers after letting my sister take over slicing the peaches.  Time to work on the crust.  I kneaded the dough and and rolled it out in two squares.  They fit perfectly in the yellow pan.  Normally with a crumb topping I use a pastry cutter and the crumbs are pea sized. This time I used two butter knives because the pastry cutter was on vacation.  Not really, we just couldn't find it.  The knives made my crumbs the size of cherry tomatoes. This apparently was a good thing because we didn't  have enough peaches. The over-sized crumbs filled in the peachy gaps nicely.  So I snapped a picture of the unbaked cobbler but it was eaten up too fast for me to capture it fully baked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment