This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Monday, July 9, 2012

The Power of the Pen

When we were kids, getting the mail was the most exciting part of the day, next to dad coming home. Five or six of us kids would race out to the mail box, tripping over each other and laughing.  The older ones would reach it first with the little kids tagging along excitedly. I can smell the freshly cut grass and feel the gentile wind of a coming thunderstorm. Only on a rare occasion would their be mail for us.  The majority of letters, bills and advertisements were for Mom.  Sometimes I would get a letter from a distant pen pal.  She always said the same thing, and I always responded with the same questions and answers.  It went something like this.

Dear Tabitha,
How are you? I miss you.  Thanks for the letter. Sorry I haven't written in a while...


I was of course a terrible writer when I was eight, and my spelling was even worse.  But all my letters started out the same way.  I normally answered all her questions, and asked her the same in return.  Nonetheless  I am thankful for childhood  pen pals.  The task of writing letters came in handy shortly after Christmas last year.  To bless my hospitalized grandmother I began writing her lengthy descriptive letters about our family.  I explained to her what it was like in our house around Christmas time.  Words flew from my mind to my fingers as I frantically typed about the scented Christmas tree, the soft white snow banks, the baking gingersnaps, and the hanging stockings.  From her shaky but readable responses I learned she thoroughly enjoyed my letters.  It was almost like she was looking through a window and watching her grandchildren going about their day preparing for the holidays. I am so happy that I wrote those letters.  Winter melted into spring and I told her about the blooming flowers and heavy rains.  I brought more and more of my world to her's.  Just weeks ago my Grandma passed away.  She battled cancer for ten years before God told her it was time to come home.  I rest at peace knowing my letters were a blessing to her in the hospital.  Words are a gift.  Use them for more than a status update or spontaneous text message.  Use them to make a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment