Some people wake up in the morning and say this is going to be the best day of my life. I wanna look back on each unpromised day and say, this was the best day of my life.
This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.
Monday, July 2, 2012
My hands are dried out from washing dishes. Our dishwasher is broken so the only solution at this point is to do it by hand. I don't mind it so much when I have a clean dish cloth and plenty of dish soap. Of course washing one's own dishes is a mindless simple task, but when your six little simblings leave their dishes for you to wash, it becomes a bigger opporation. When I close at Great Harvest I have to wash all the bread knives and sandwich spreaders. Three giant wash sinks sit in the back wash room. One is filled with steaming hot dish water. I always brace myself when I plunge my hands into the scorching hot water to find the hidden dishes. A thin layer of bubbles hides the dishes. The other two sinks are for rinsing and sanitizing. As I wash the dishes and the clock winds around to closing time, Sallymae brings back more and more dishes: cutting boards, cookies sheets, pans, tubs, soup dishes, ect. I am in the company of so many dishes, and gallons of water, yet I am alone. All the same it's here in the washroom that I learn what all the dishes are and how the bakers use them. The most difficult dish to wash is the dough press. It looks like a piece of an airplane engine, and weighs more than half the luggage you bring on an airplane. The bakers use the dough press to divide cookie dough into equal portions. The very best part about doing dishes, is spraying out the dirty sinks. I clean out the sink With a giant hose like sprayer, which hangs by a spring above me. I smile with pride as I see those sinks shiny clean. I know in just a few hours the bakers will be back to start the process all over again. I rub my sore red hands, everything hurts from standing all day. Buts it's nothing a good apple crumb bar can't cure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment