This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

chocolate marshmallows or cookies?

A good cookie baker reads a recipe and follows directions.  An OK baker looks at the picture, glances at the recipe and does her best.  A great baker reads the recipe aloud and the creation takes form on its own.  Imagine if you could  read a recipe aloud and it would come to life. Imagine was all I could do when I attempted to make brownie clusters yesterday.  I forgot to take note of the chemical reaction of egg whites when I whipped them up.  Puddles of chocolate batter went into the oven while mushroom tops came out. I'm afraid they tasted worse than they looked.  A heavily burnt marshmallow with a hint of chocolate. I suppose you could call it a chocolate marshmallow with a third degree burn.

When I was little I wanted to be like Amelia Bedelia.  What little child doesn't remember the maid Amelia with the funny, daisy covered bonnet. Unfortunately as a maid who's suppose to clean and do laundry her only strength is baking.  In the end of every book she wows her accusers with some amazing delicious creation.  And even if she had turned the whole house upside down, she is still adored for her baking.  All she ever did was put in a little of this and a pinch of that and something amazing would come out of it.  But I'm no Amelia Bedelia.   I'd rather glance at the recipe instead of follow it meticulously.  It's fun to try new things until you fail.  But what is failure but an opportunity to find success.

1 comment:

  1. The brownie clusters were great. It was just a texture people were un-used to because their mother avoids cooking with stiff egg whites.

    ReplyDelete