This is me

This is me
I'm a writer, reader, musician, and baker. I enjoy long walks, coffee shops, and book stores.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jordyn Wieber drops out while Gabby Douglas makes it to the all arounds.  The Olympics is so unpredictable.  I certainly thought Michael Phelps would get another gold medal but Lochte slammed the door in his face.


 Sometimes at Great Harvest we do a monthly theme for the holidays.  I sure wish we could do a 2012 Olympic theme. Right now we're stuck with Christmas in July. Our specials are: Cranberry Orange Bread,  Cranberry Orange Scones, and Chocolate Cherry Cookies. The scones are to die for.  January always finishes them off with her citrus glaze that makes them glisten. Oranges are best in winter. But a taste of winter in July is like getting a gift on your half birthday.



For my Dad's birthday this year I made him a vanilla orange cake.  Believe it or not the recipe actually called for orange juice in the cake after it was baked!  My sister and I eyed each other with hesitation as we pierced a whole in the top layer.  The sugary juice mixer funneled nicely into the cake giving it a moist texture.  I topped it off with some gourmet decor.  But this of course was in April, months ago.  Lately I haven't baked anything too extreme supreme.  Watching the Olympics makes me want to work out and get in shape, not bake and eat sweets. I mean, what Olympian eats cookies everyday?  It's almost too funny to see MacDonald's commercials during the Olympic Games.  Next to gymnastics, my favorite event is the synchronized high dive.  Maybe it's this summer heat, but diving into a pool of water from fifty feet up looks so refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment